DREAMHOST HOSTING COMPANY

DREAMHOST HOSTING COMPANY

Sunday, June 1, 2008

CHEAP 150 MB & $15 DREAMHOST PS IN MY DREAMS

CHEAP 150 MB & $15 DREAMHOST PS IN MY DREAMS


When I applied for a Dreamhost private server I was thinking that paying $15/month for the server would be enough as I don't have so many visitors on my websites but I was of course wrong, as I had to set it quite quickly to $60/month (600 MB and 600 MHZ of CPU) or my websites would have been down most of the time.

Even if you don't have so many visitors one thing that you have to remember is that the problems you had with the search engines bots as Google bots on a shared server, you will still have them on a private server, and that engines bots can suck a lot of ressources of your server, that's why it's not possible to set your server to as low as 150 MB if you still want the maleficent bots to visit your websites and index them.

But what is nice with Dreamhost PS is that you can see in real time what happens on your server, and how much memory you are using thanks to a graph on your server account.

Of course it's better to have a second screen and be able to see your server graph most of the time when you are working on the computer because there is no warning system or anything to tell you that your server has troubles and that your websites might be down, and you won't receive an email even though all your websites would be down, because you are not anymore on a shared server and your server problems will affect only you. This is something that I hope the Dreamhost team will add soon.

Thanks to this graph you will be able to adjust your server settings when you will see on the graph that your websites are using more memory than affected to works, which can happen sometimes for few minutes or hours, but you need to be in front of the computer at that time to allocate more memory.

So even though I will pay at least $60/month for the Dreamhost PS I do not regret as I like to see in real time what happens to my websites, and even though I'm not anymore on a shared server the Dreamhost team still reply to my emails quite fast, and they are always happy ;-) to give me hints and explain things.

It's not as cheap as I would have expected, but it's not as expensive as it could be, so it's ok.










No comments:

Post a Comment